Flickr

If you want to see even more pictures, check out my flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willecuador/

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Old Friends and New

I left Sacha Yacu about three months ago, since that time a lot has changed. New animals have arrived or been born, while others have escaped, died, or been set free, but it's not all different. I still had a welcome homecoming from several of my favorite animals in the center, and the new ones are really a joy to have around.

Me with my old friends Grumpy and Naughty.

It took about 15 minutes to get Grumpy to let go of me on this day.
Since my time away one of our tyras died, one monkey escaped and another died, one parrot escaped, one coati escaped, and one peccary escaped. Heaping all those things into one sentence really does not give a great impression of how things have been going at Sacha Yacu in my absence. But when you consider that... two boa constrictors were liberated, a coati was saved from near death, an alligator was liberated, a tortoise was cured of a nasty shell disease, a baby parrot was born, a baby peccary was born, two peccaries are currently pregnant, and that we were entrusted with the rehabilitation of a tigarillo ("tiger cat", a very close relative to the ocelot)... it really puts things in perspective.
This was the first thing I saw when I arrived for the second time at Sacha Yacu... pretty cool caterpillar.

This is our Tigarillo, what should I name him?

I feel so at home here that it makes me sad to think I only have two weeks left. But after that I have an exciting adventure in Mindo to look forward to, before my return home, which I have been anxiously awaiting for several weeks. I had a nice little chat with Marie Gingher and Andy Madore last night that made me feel very nostalgic about the good old days back in Happy Valley. See you soon SC!
Fun in the pool with my old friends, and plenty of new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment