Flickr

If you want to see even more pictures, check out my flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willecuador/

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mariscal, Pichincha, and Amazon

Well after my first day of work yesterday I headed down to Mariscal with Kamila and Toby. Mariscal for those of you who don´t know is the ¨New Town¨ of Quito, of course, it´s better known by the name Gringolandia (translation: tacky tourist town). Filled with tourists it may be, but hey, that´s what I am, and Mariscal has some great things to offer. The real reason we were there was to book a trip to the Amazon for this weekend.

Each travel agency we stopped at had their own sales pitch to give you, of course, all of the trips we were looking at were exactly the same thing, but like good tourists we sat through three identical presentations before making our decision. I´m pretty sure the second lecture took about thirty minutes. The guy talking to us didn´t speek English very, but insisted on speaking in English anyways. It was excruciating to sit there as he went through the schedule day by day, ¨And then you will go fishing for pirranas, if you catch one you will cook it, then you will go swim with dolphins...¨ I´m pretty sure the only verb construction that he knew was ¨You will do X¨ because the entire package was presented as though we had already agreed to his deal. Needless to say we went with a different agency, so from Friday through Monday I will be in the Cuyabena reserve, possibly fishing for pirranas, and possibly swimming with Pink River Dolphins.

In about thirty minutes I will be leaving for Pichincha, which is the nearest volcano to Quito. From there we will just hike around and explore, from what I understand the views are amazing so I can´t wait for that. Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment