Flickr

If you want to see even more pictures, check out my flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willecuador/

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Rumbo en Mindo

If you have been checking my blog recently you know that it has been dryer than an Aubrey Plaza character. The reason for that is not my usual excuse that I don't have Internet; in fact, I have Internet all day long. The fact of the matter is that I've just been working without stop for the past week and a half. I arrived in Mindo last Sunday, and Monday morning began work at El Quetzal, an artisan chocolate factory and restaurant. I work seven days a week, from eight in the morning until eight at night, and I'm loving it.
El Quetzal is probably one of the few places left in the world that ferments, dries, roasts, grinds, tempers, and molds their own chocolate all by hand.

My new place of work.

It's a really amazing establishment to work at. They are just so committed here to experimentation and the production of quality products. Their chocolate is outstanding, still made 100% by hand, and the best in Ecuador by my tastes. We make our own homemade ginger ale, caramelized ginger, and ginger syrup. For anyone who knows how much of a ginger fanatic I am, you can imagine how happy I must be working here.
My best attempt at latte art... I know it's pretty pathetic, but we use whole milk, which makes things pretty tough.
Aside from that I have a big fully equipped kitchen and espresso machine to play around with. I'm getting to practice a lot of things like my mayonnaise making skills, milk frothing, espresso making, and chocolate tempering. Working in a restaurant kitchen again is fantastic, and even more so at a place with such imagination and respect for food. Unfortunately I will be leaving in only a few more days and be "Rumbo a SC". Being in such a great place with such nice people makes me realize how much I am going to miss Ecuador, but I look forward to coming home all the same.
My first attempt at a "Latte Machiatto Caramelo"

No comments:

Post a Comment