Flickr

If you want to see even more pictures, check out my flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willecuador/

Monday, September 3, 2012

Alone no longer

Well for my first two days here I was completely alone in the house, besides the woman who comes to cook for me. But needless to say it was horribly boring. I tried to make it to Quito one day but failed to figure out the busses (I basically just stood at the bus stop for 45 minutes looking like an idiot.) So I´ve spent most of my time in El Triangulo, which doesn´t have much to see, or I´ve been reading/writing. Luckily the house that I´m in has lots of open doors and loose windows, and it´s very windy, so it always seems like people are coming and going. The only problem is that no one ever is, so now it just feels like I´m living in a haunted house and the ghost of some little girl keeps following me around opening doors and shaking windows.

So you can imagine how happy I was when yesterday two other volunteers showed up. Camila and Toby, both from Europe (camila from poland/belgium and toby from germany.) They´re both really nice and talkative so that certainly livened things up a bit. They just got back from a weekend in Otavalo and promised to take me there sometime so that should be good. And tomorrow we´re going into Quito (hopefully I make it this time.) Oh also, that night another volunteer from Colombia showed up. He´s only staying for one night and then heading off to Puyo, but he had some pretty interesting things to say. Turns out Colombia is not the cocaine, weed, and murder ridden country we all think. In fact, according to Colombia guy (I forget his name) most of Colombia is very calm and safe and there´s only a couple small towns where all of the drugs and violence is centered.

Anyways, I had my first day of work/school today, although I´m not sure you can really call what I did work. I got there and it was the first day of school, so there werent any classes, and all the teachers were really busy with meetings and stuff. So I ended up gluing some letters to a wall and then sitting there for about 2 hours before being told I could go home... so.. yeah. Oh and the best part; I´m absolutely terrible with spanish names, when I got to the school I was introduced to the coordinator, director, and teacher... I forgot all of their names within 10 minutes. So when I was just sitting the classroom for hours not knowing what to do I couldn´t even ask someone where these people were because I didn´t know their names, awesome! Also, it is a bitch to get there. I have to walk 30 minutes up this huge hill to catch a bus, which then drops me off and I have to walk another 10 minutes to get to the school. And sorry to sound like your grandparents but, it´s uphill both ways!

I´ve got pleanty of other things to talk about but for now I have to go, we´re leaving for Quito in half an hour so wish me luck on my second try with the busses!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I commented on your earlier post from my phone, but it didn't show up. So here I am again, hoping for another post from you and HERE IT IS! Keep them coming. Doug says it's the best writing he's ever seen from an 18 year old and pretty darn good against most adults. Keep writing, we wait for the updates! Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi marguerite, so great to hear from you. I have to say I´m kind of surprised that you think it´s great writing, I write these blogs very hastily so there´s no time to edit or think them through too much, but thank you for the comment! Also, I´m going to try uploading some photos soon, I don´t have too many but just a few of the neighborhood that I´m living in so stay tuned for that, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to send a comment. Hope this goes through!
    I too love your writing! I can visualize where you are and love hearing about your escapades in adjusting to your new life there.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Marguerite and Doug, great writing!! No surprise, I always like your writing. So well-spoken and intelligent, what a classic. I enjoy that you're basically living with a ghost haha looking forward to more updates!

    ReplyDelete