Flickr

If you want to see even more pictures, check out my flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willecuador/

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Arts and Crafts 101

I just got off my second day of work, which was much better than the first day, although notedly free of actual work once again. There were actually classes today, which apparently for right now means 15 minutes of a name game in the morning and then recess/lunch for the remaining 4 hours. Granted this is the first actual day of classes, so I´m sure we´ll get into a real schedule sometime soon, but for now this seems like a childs paradise. I´m helping with pre-basica which is like preschool/kindergarten in the States.

About 50% of my time is spent just standing around or watching the kids making sure they don´t try to eat dirt. The other 50% is spent as the resident craft master for the school. Today I vastly improved my scissor skills by cutting out a few hundred name tags and pictures. But the most glorious task I have is to make designs on the wall with foam letters or CDs. Most of this work is just hot gluing little foam cutouts or CDs in a nice pattern on the wall. I managed to make it through two full glue sticks today, quite the accomplishment if I do say so myself. And not to toot my own horn, but the design I made on the wall with old CDs would probably get me in invitation to display my works at MOMA. The only downside: I think I´m developing a repetetive use injury on my glue gun finger.

The kids that I´m working with are really cute though. Some of them seem fascinated by me, some terrified, and others just confused. They are a little hard to understand, but the ones that aren´t running in fear from me are usually running up to tell me about some mean kid in the other class, or ask me why I´m gluing CDs on the wall (I imagine I would be confused by that one too.) I´m guessing it will improve over time, but I certainly get some strange wide eyed looks. I can´t blame them. Many of these kids have probably never seen someone non-ecuadorian in their lives. With my 6´1¨ lenky build, blond hair, blue eyes, and milky white skin I probably look like something out of a 1940s horror film. I can see the marquee now ¨Attack of the Giant Scandanavian Monster!¨

Maybe someone can check if that´s a real movie, because it really sounds like one.

Hasta Luego!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you'll have this record for yourself. I love reading it, and can't wait to hear about your weekend adventures coming up. Love you!

    ReplyDelete